Jungle Elves - The Models

Moderator: Council of Elders

Jungle Elves - The Models

Postby Upyr » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:12 pm

Hello everybody. I have decided (long before this Lustria-campaign came out) that my Elves would not live in Loren, but in fact in the jungle. Lustria to be precise, I guess im not 100% sure if its Lustria or the Southlands, but that doesnt matter atm. I could write some basic fluff + politics but it would just be boring. I will write more extensively another time. Ask if you wonder about anything.

To the point:

I will use a lot of "prox" models. Ie "count as". Simply to follow the theme of my army. These are the ideas I have so far, and short explanations for them:

Glade Guard - Glade Guard
Scouts - Glade Guard
Dryads - Dryads (later these might be changed for Daemonettes, the explanation would be mainly that they were a tad corrupted/transformed by the heavy presence of Slaanesh in Lustria during the SoC.
Eternal Guard - Maiden Guard (why they are all female: most males died in a horrible plauge released by Clan Pestilens, so it was no longer economical to keep the ladies at home cooking squirrels. And they love to fight)

Wardancers - Witch Elves (same as Eternal Guard, these females were wardancers before the plauge though, the male numbers in their ranks just dwindled)

Waywatchers - Waywatchers

To the fun part, the part where I need help. In the form of: explanations for the models, why they work differently from other models looking exactly like them, and suggestions for other possible models.

Wild Riders - Wild Riders on Horned Ones (5th ed cold ones)
Warhawk Riders - Gladeriders on Terradons
Treekin - No idea, was thinking of leaving them out due to fluff purposes
Treeman - Same as treekin

I do have an idea for a "Treeman Ancient" though, here is the short version:

The Elves who departed for Lustria were led by Thalandor Doomstar´s younger brother. He was a powerful mage, and had Alter Kindred blood in his veins. This manifested itself a bit different on him than on your run-of-the-mill Alter Noble though. Given enough time he could create mental images of creatures, then project his spirit, mind and conceusness into them, leaving his mortal body an empty shell. But the spiritform and his body was always linked with a silverstring, making him able to find his way back no matter how far he went. But as he was always linked to it, if either form took harm the other would as well. This led him to only use this ability for scouting purposes and carrying messages, powerful though it was. (this makes a lot more sense if you have read the Deverry books, which are great btw!)

Anyway to the point, during one large battle with Clan Pestilens he was mortally wounded. The Skaven made good use of a captured carnosaur, which they goaded into battle with the elves. To weak and without enough time to create a spirit-form for himself, he decided to risk it all. He had never tried to infuse his mind into another living creature before, and he could not know the consequenses. Nonetheless he did it, not to save himself but to save his kin. If this army were allowed to reach the inner sanctums of the Sacred Glade (the place with the magical trees) they would be irrevocably corrupted. So he launched his mind and spirit with full force into the raging creature. For a moment the battle seemed to freeze as the lumbering shape of the carnosaur stopped attacking, struck by the force of Doomstars mind. The merging was not entirely successful though, the creature had a mind of its own to combat his with, and the giant hulk of the carnosaur ran amok. Doomstar used all his willpower to move the creatures/his body toward the Skaven army though, and the elves was given time to withdraw. The mind war raged while the battle between elf and skaven stopped, the elves watched with astonishment the full turn of the creature while the ratmen became very busy running for their lives. Doomstars body lay forgotten amongst the other bodies of the dead, almost forgotten anyway. The Elves withdrawed, mourning for their obviusly dead leader but rejoicing over the fortunate turn of events. The Skaven fled the field, leaving the carnosaur to fight with itself. Finally, his now giant hulk collapsing from the effort, Doomstar managed to take full control, his powerful wizardmind conquering the lizards. He had no idea if he could revoke the effects, but he did intend to try. He gathered himself and rose on his muscular legs, and moved back towards his body. But as he rose he saw something horrifying. A shadow was moving swiftly amongst the underbrush and corpses, making a clear target of his elf-body, showing no fear of the looming predator nearby. Doomstar mustered his last strenght and ran on unsteady legs towards the spot, feeling the drag of the silver string, back to his true self. But he was to late. The weeping blades of the assassin smoothly slit the throat of his body, severing the silver string linking elf and dinosaur. Doomstair raised his head to scream for help, but what came out sounded more like a guttural warcry, roaring in anguish and pain he staggered about, forgetting completely about the assassin, who silently slid away into the bush...

This story will be a lot better written, longer, and better spelt later on. For now its only for you to judge if my motivation is enough to use a Carnosaur for a Treeman. Though this is not the only purpose, I like the story and I like the whole idea, so im not just "making any bs up so I can cheese/prox away".

Anyway, he has some telepathic abilities left, so the elves did not kill him when he came to them, but recognized him as their leader, no matter what form.

To the rules: He follows the same rules as a Treeman Ancient of course, but some things needs explanation/motivation:

Powerful Wizard: Doomstar was, as his older brother, a powerful wizard in his elven life. Spites followed him everywhere he went, and they still do. He may choose spites from the WE list for 100 points. Also the different kind of spites that always follow him around creates a protective mist around him, giving him a 5+ Forest Spirit Wardsave.

He can no longer cast spells in the same manner as before, having lost the ability to incant them. But the trees of the forest/jungle still recognize him as their ally, and will aid him however they can. Two times during his turn he can treesing, the same way as a treeman. Also he can use the strangling roots attack, this is not his own roots though, but he directs the roots of nearby trees. And if no trees are nearby, the carpet of jungle-creatures who also accompany him will do the deed.

As you understand, the model I intend to use for this purpose is:
Carnosaur
Jungle Swarm(s) models
Spites

Well, thats it for Doomstar the Carnousaur :)

I would also be greatful if anyone could come up with plausible reasons for treeman/treekin being in Lustria.

I think I got the dryad/spite part covered. I will write some fluff about a good friend of Doomstars, a branchwraith to be exact. She would have led a bundle of dryads to Lustria alongside Doomstar. About the spites, I think they followed the charachters they had always followed, and of course they swarm around dryads, and lastly I think they know that something important was coming of this trip, and the elves needed their help.

Thanks for any comments/ideas/criticism/spelling corrections/anything!

Cheers
"There is no shame in defeat as long as the spirit remains unconquered"
/Praetor Fenix

Dogs of War forum, come join us!
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Inquisition_De_Cobre
Upyr
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Postby Upyr » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:59 pm

Im honestly buffing this. 57 wiews and not one reply. Im not only asking for help, im asking for comments, ideas and criticism also :)

Just write whatever comes into your head reading this, I´d love some feedback.

I read somewhere here about the idea to use Fenbeasts as Treekin. I dont think that would fit very well for a Loren army, but for mine :D
/Praetor Fenix

Upyr
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Postby Jashyr » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:21 pm

Fenbeasts do have a remarkably 'vine covered' look and would be good for a jungle feel.

Overall this is a nice original idea and I'll be impressed if you can pull it all off with a unified feel. The only thing that doesn't ring true are the maiden guard who are wearing far too much armour for a jungle and are a totally different style to the rest of the army. It does, however, look like large numbers of the actual Eternal Guard are female or you could try converting the Mordheim amazon warband. Glade guard bodies with high elf spears could also work but may be a bit expensive if you can't trade for bitz.
Jash

Converting isn't a hobby, it's an obsession...
Jashyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Jashyr » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:25 pm

I know it's rude to reply to my own post but you were begging for feedback :-)

Now I come to think about it, the Mordhiem Amazons with two swords would probably be more appropriate as Wardancers than the Witch Elves. They certainly go with the theme better.
Jash

Jashyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Ellisthion » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:44 pm

I do like the idea of female wardancers - that's one reason I'm going to buy the command and hero asap. I was thinking about using a maidenguard as a champ...

I currently use a WH Quest Witch Elf as my WD champ, and she looks quite good when painted appropriately.

Amazons are not elves.
Ellisthion
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman

Postby Jashyr » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:53 pm

Ellisthion wrote:
Amazons are not elves.

True, but they don't have the usual chunky build of GW humans and are quite comparable with the wood elves I have so far (though I've only got the plastics at the moment.) Plus very few people actually use them as amazons - they usually end up converted as something else entirely.
Jash

Jashyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Upyr » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:54 pm

Nice ideas. Yeah I have thought about the amazon range, the thing is that my elves are not supposed to be amazons. To people being attacked by them they might appear as those though. But still, as amazons exist in the warhammer world I dont want to steal their look. I think witch elves look sutiably aggresive for warrior women of the jungle, clad for it as well :)

Add to that the small fact that I have 14 of them ^^

About the maiden guard: I hear you about the armour, but I dont think its much to much. They live nearby the coast, nice breezes hehe. Also I have 18 models. Besides I doubt the heavy cloaks + helmets of the original EG-models are much better suited for jungle enviroments. About the quills of arrows - I will have the large elven shields to cover those.

No comments about my story about Doomstar becoming the carnosaur? Even if its "thats some silly [censored]" I would like to hear it. My friends will probably whine about it anyway, even with the (much nicer than whats up there) nice fluff I will write for it. They wouldnt understand why I just dont take a treeman and stick some jungle-leaves on him. And maybe ill do that, if I find a good reason for him being in Lustria in the first place.

Lastly: Yeah the part about the army still looking unified. I dont really know how im gonna pull this off, Strong Colour scheme, nice basing (jungle, spites/jungle swarms) and the likes I guess. And of course the jungle beasts (if I can incorporate them nicely).
/Praetor Fenix

Upyr
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Postby Jashyr » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:48 pm

If you've already got the models then go for it! The worst that can happen is that you'll have to do some paint stripping if you're not happy with the end result.

Have you thought about using greenstuff to model a bit of fur to the loincloths and cloaks to make a common feature for your models? Doing jaguar patterning or something to tie the schemes together? I'm sure the old elf beastmaster wildcats are still available over mailorder too. Theres always the possiblity of using lizardmen skins as scaly cloaks, but I think that would be a bit too mush like Druchii Corsairs for my liking.

The carnosaur thing doesn't really phase me. It's a big wild animal - it'd fit.
Jash

Jashyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Upyr » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:59 pm

Yeah and its not wild anymore :) being only a vessel for Doomstars spirit.

About the loin-cloth/fur-thingy: thats a good idea, I really should look into something similar. That will be a future project though, I dont paint alot (ever) so im gonna concentrate on getting started with that. And meanwhile the paintscheme + basing (jungle swarms, perhaps jungly trees) will have to do the job for me.

I have really gotten hooked on the idea of Fenbeast, both that and the Albion Truthsayer are great models for the swampy jungles of Lustria.

Cheers
/Praetor Fenix

Upyr
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Return to The Hall of Discussion (Old Army Book)