Wood Elf Rumors

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Beithir Seun » Sat May 21, 2011 4:47 pm

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've heard about the possibility of Dwarves before Wood Elves as well. I really don't understand why Dwarves need a rewrite, even if they were due one - they're fairly decent in 8th Edition.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
User avatar
Medals: 2
Main Admin (1) Campaign Team (1)
 
Posts: 17133
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:03 pm
Location: Surrounded by Night Goblins in furry hats...

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Shandrakor » Sat May 21, 2011 6:44 pm

sirkently wrote:I think the OK means Ogre Kingsdoms, which he says are for this year. Wood elves in 2012.

Ah, yeah, I got it now. It's just that he didn't capitalize the K in Ogre Kingdoms and when quickly reading over it I guess I just took it to say... ok this year, Wood Elves 2012, instead of Ogre Kingdoms this year, Wood Elves 2012.

Beithir Seun wrote:As I mentioned in a previous post, I've heard about the possibility of Dwarves before Wood Elves as well. I really don't understand why Dwarves need a rewrite, even if they were due one - they're fairly decent in 8th Edition.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. Dwarves are fine in this new edition. They don't really need any help beyond what they already are and maybe a few tweaks here and there that a FAQ could do. Then again, knowing GW, they'd re-release an Army Book with those minor tweaks just to make a profit, instead of properly redoing the Army Books.
Want to see how Wood Elves should look in 8th edition?
Check this out then: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Feel free to leave your ideas too!
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
User avatar Shadow Sentinel
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Ramesesis » Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 pm

What I have heard, from a fellow who has his ears out and is somewhat connected, is that indeed Ogre kingdom is next. Fact is as far as he knew, Ogre Kingdom is the only other fantasy army released for this year. Maybe brets around Christmas but that is it.

The rest, well, we have this Storm of Magic and a bucketload of 40K releases. I say we should not go about wishing but treat our present army list with the FAQ and the Main rule book magic items as the stuff we got to work with for the forseable future.

I remember last wait aswell. And man did we wait... and wait... :roll:
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.

Image
Ramesesis
Riftblade of Loren
User avatar Riftblade of Loren
 
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:57 am
Location: An iron fist in a chainmail glove

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby bfeijter » Fri May 27, 2011 8:21 pm

a forrest mammoth is all kinds of wrong.
bfeijter
Newcomer
Newcomer
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby aPickledGinger » Fri May 27, 2011 10:33 pm

popisdead wrote:What is Pointhammered, a podcast?


Yes, Pointhammered is a podcast based out of Wisconsin if I am not mistaken.
Josh
.-=Low Comp Crew=-.
.-=Leadership 2=-.
@aPickledGinger
aPickledGinger
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Overmind » Fri May 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Very crude and not at all family friendly, but I like it. The hosts confuse me, but my boyfriend and I are fans.
My dream for 8th ed Wood Elves: Less need to use Trees, elves get better, less need for me to have a Lord Mage. Not the most realistic, but hey we've got to have wishlists eh?

ALL HAIL TREE MAMMOTH!
Overmind
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby ThaneWill » Sat May 28, 2011 10:12 am

Personally i think they could do dwarves over again, at my local store at least 5 maybe 7 guys play dwarves. (out of 15-20) and Dwarves are a populair army even outside our local store (i ment i some other GW stores i know) I could see them going first just for GW arrogance. Woodies are less populair and will make less profit............................
' Wood elves are not treehugging hippies!!!"

darkened fantasy, WHFB forum

Aka: (chaos) ThaneWill and Willqueek (for all members of other forums)
ThaneWill
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby bfeijter » Sat May 28, 2011 10:35 am

Its funny how skaven shoot into slaves without having to randomise hits between friend and foe but the master bowmen of WHFB cannot.

Wouldnt it fix some problems with WE if say 33% of your unit can fire on enemy models that are fighting friendlies. (not everyone has a clear shot)

If anyone can shoot into combat without a chance to hit your own troops it should be WE imo.
bfeijter
Newcomer
Newcomer
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby SeanyPrawny » Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 pm

I really like that idea though I think it should only be possibly to shot from i side that isn't looking just at your troops so flank and rear if the friendly unit is at the front.

I really hope we don't have another long winter (waiting for our book to be released) the last time was ridiculous. And we better hadn't get another white dwarf list because that was horrendous...

I really like this edition but every game makes me hate my wood elves that bit more. I can win with them sure but it takes alot of stupidity on my opponents part to manage it.
SeanyPrawny
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby unicorn » Sat May 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Beithir Seun wrote:I really don't understand why Dwarves need a rewrite, even if they were due one - they're fairly decent in 8th Edition.

Personally, I understand this. Dawis are one of the top selling armies, but they have a lot of old and ugly models. And cheap (read: old selling prises) ones. With the new book, you can give them tons of new cheap models in plastic for high prices.
On other hand, WE are not that high in the sells.

So I can see the reasoning behind Dawis before WE. And the some goes for Bretons - they are one of the top selling armies even now, AFAIK. New book can make GW much more money that our book will make.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:12 pm
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Siegfried » Sat May 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Wood Elves were as far as I knew a very high sales army back in 6th edition. Their sales droped in 7th as their effectiveness waned and took a fall as soon as 8th edition came out. I believe that they're not selling that much now due to the fact that they are not very effective on the battlefield anymore. As soon as we get a new book there will be much demand in the GW stores.

Besides the fact that an army is high selling is a sign that it is not in a hurry of a new armybook. It is the armies that have low sales that are in need of new book. At least according to the "sell miniatures" philosophy...
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
Siegfried
Campaign Team
User avatar
Medals: 1
Campaign Team (1)
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 pm
Location: In the mists...

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Shandrakor » Sat May 28, 2011 11:32 pm

What Siegfried said. Tomb Kings were probably one of the least sold armies before their new book. Why? Because they kinda stunk. Now? They're probably one of the better sellers currently with all the neat new models. Some people were talking about just buying the Sphinx because it looked neat, not even to play the army.
Want to see how Wood Elves should look in 8th edition?
Check this out then: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Feel free to leave your ideas too!
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
User avatar Shadow Sentinel
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby unicorn » Sun May 29, 2011 12:24 am

Siegfried wrote: I believe that they're not selling that much now due to the fact that they are not very effective on the battlefield anymore. As soon as we get a new book there will be much demand in the GW stores.

Like every other army - after new AB, the sales goes up.
But generally, Brets are one of top selling armie even right NOW. And they are weak. People simply loves them. And have more great bret models to sell for higher prices will probably do much more for GW that any other army.
And the some goes for Dawis. They are one of the top selling army, no matter how strong/weak they are at any given moment. They are one of that armies people buy because they love the models.

So it really makes sense to me. Because no matter that new AB will rise the sells of any given army, there are armies which will simply have better sells that other ones ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:12 pm
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby ThaneWill » Sun May 29, 2011 7:01 am

i siply fully agree with unicorn, GW has an ego 100 times bigger then the guy with the must ego on earth.
They first pic two army's who need an update, then MONEY MONEY then wood elves and brets and then MONEY MONEY MONEY
' Wood elves are not treehugging hippies!!!"

darkened fantasy, WHFB forum

Aka: (chaos) ThaneWill and Willqueek (for all members of other forums)
ThaneWill
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby unicorn » Sun May 29, 2011 8:02 am

scyron wrote:They first pic two army's who need an update, then MONEY MONEY then wood elves and brets and then MONEY MONEY MONEY

Any difference from any profit-based company in the world? Maybe except other companies will not pic wood elves at all? ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:12 pm
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Siegfried » Sun May 29, 2011 11:22 am

unicorn wrote:Like every other army - after new AB, the sales goes up.
But generally, Brets are one of top selling armie even right NOW. And they are weak. People simply loves them. And have more great bret models to sell for higher prices will probably do much more for GW that any other army.
And the some goes for Dawis. They are one of the top selling army, no matter how strong/weak they are at any given moment. They are one of that armies people buy because they love the models.

So it really makes sense to me. Because no matter that new AB will rise the sells of any given army, there are armies which will simply have better sells that other ones ;)


I happen to be also a bretonnian player and a member of the round table of Bretonnia. Most people there believe that Bretonnia has relatively few players compared to other armies. You may have that impression due to the fact that Bretonnian players tend to be more dedicated to their army than other players. Personally I can'y say if one or the other is true for sure, but I tend to agree with the mates in the Round Table forum.

Now regarding your argument about the armies that sell regardless of their gameplay power, you just make my point more valid.
If I have a selling army that maintains its sales no mater how powerful it is, I will most likely find the armies that don't sell (for whatever reason) and fix them first.

It is better to raise high the sales of an army that does not sale than raising a bit more the sales of an already selling army. Profit-wise it is the logical choice. :)
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
Siegfried
Campaign Team
User avatar
Medals: 1
Campaign Team (1)
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 pm
Location: In the mists...

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Yuri » Sun May 29, 2011 11:34 am

I've consulted few seers about this topic. Here's what they say:
1st, Ogre Kingdoms.
2nd, Dwarves.
3rd, Bretonnia.
4th, end of the world, apocalypse, few days after Bretonnia comes out.
5th, Orcs&Goblins.
6th, Wood Elves - revision in White Dwarf.
7th, I get married if I survive, but thats too personal now...
etc.
Yuri's little corner
Mordheim Undead: Warband rating: 144
Wood Elves in 2013: W/L/D - 0/1/1
Upcoming Black Templars: models done/painted: 21/0
Yuri
Bladesinger
User avatar Bladesinger
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby unicorn » Sun May 29, 2011 11:59 am

Siegfried wrote:I happen to be also a bretonnian player and a member of the round table of Bretonnia. Most people there believe that Bretonnia has relatively few players compared to other armies. You may have that impression due to the fact that Bretonnian players tend to be more dedicated to their army than other players.

I have that impression cause I know the guy responsible for GW stuff sales in my country.
Yes, competitive players do not play Brets. Tough Brets seems to be most popular army for casual players. And causal players are about 80 % of GW sales, as far as GW stated it about 2 or 3 years ago.


If I have a selling army that maintains its sales no mater how powerful it is, I will most likely find the armies that don't sell (for whatever reason) and fix them first.

It is better to raise high the sales of an army that does not sale than raising a bit more the sales of an already selling army. Profit-wise it is the logical choice. :)

Not really ;)
If you have the army which sales very good no matter you have few, old and (in compare to new armies) really underpriced models, you may come to conclusion that make new, more expensive models and new units at all will make more profit with such army that with army with poor sales. In fact, it is pretty logical. The players who will buy WE cause they are new and strong will buy Brets for the some reasons. So here for this group, the sales will be the some no matter the army you update. BUT... The players who are buying Brets causet hey love them will buy them cause they love them. The some goes for WE. And if No of Brets >> No of WEs...
1+1 = more sales for new Brets (or Dawis) that for new WE.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:12 pm
Location: Czech republic (GMT+1 for WFO purposes)

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby Tachunka » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:38 pm

To increase profit, you increase sales in the products that are selling slow and keep sales up in the more popular products. So, the proper thing would be to release Ogre Kingdoms, Wood Elf and Brettonian Army books to bump sales and maintain sales of Empire, High Elves and Dwarfs by releasing new models in each group via White Dwarf. This would lower inventory in the slow lines and sustain sales in the popular lines.
Tachunka
Newcomer
User avatar Newcomer
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:53 am
Location: In the woods, hunting....

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby bfeijter » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:03 pm

as far as i read in the rumor section of difrent sites and heared from the local GW show manager.

1- ogre
2- bret
3- welf
4- dwarf
bfeijter
Newcomer
Newcomer
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby cyberspite » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:37 pm

bfeijter wrote:as far as i read in the rumor section of difrent sites and heared from the local GW show manager.

1- ogre
2- bret
3- welf
4- dwarf


I agree with this, but that is just my personal opinion and in no way based on any facts whatsoever ;)
cyberspite
Newcomer
User avatar Newcomer
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby aPickledGinger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:23 am

bfeijter wrote:as far as i read in the rumor section of difrent sites and heared from the local GW show manager.

1- ogre
2- bret
3- welf
4- dwarf


I think that is the order of oldest books, but I would not be surprised if Empire or Dwarfs bumped us due to their popularity :(
I hope that is not the case of course.
Josh
.-=Low Comp Crew=-.
.-=Leadership 2=-.
@aPickledGinger
aPickledGinger
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby thunderbow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Question for Unicorn:
When you speak about Dwarfs, why do you say Dawis?
"It is easy to stride The Right Path"
(Lao Tse)

Image
thunderbow
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Guarding the Oak

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby muggins » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:52 pm

This might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_%28Warhammer%29

'Little is known about early Dwarf history but Dawi as they were known were probably assisted in their development by the mysterious and enigmatic Old Ones.'
muggins
Newcomer
Newcomer
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Wood Elf Rumors

Postby thunderbow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm

ah, that makes sense :smirk: :smirk:
"It is easy to stride The Right Path"
(Lao Tse)

Image
thunderbow
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Guarding the Oak

PreviousNext

Return to The Hall of Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -dragon-, albertoalter, Avian, Bing [Bot], Coldpsyker, Forest Lurker, Google [Bot], Gwill_of_the_Woods, heerolocke, Maeglin, skilgannon82, Talarian, tomrobo23 and 47 guests

cron