My Fighting Uruk-hai!

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

My Fighting Uruk-hai!

Postby Kolfrosta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:09 am

I have been heavily committed to increasing the size of my Isengard Army for Lord of the Rings and War of the Rings (which are awesome game systems and I recommend everyone check them out :thumbsup: ).

If you are not familiar with Lord of the Rings story or the Trilogy then you should go out right now and watch the movies and/or read the books. :nod: To quickly fill in, Uruk-hai means "orc-folk" or "orc-men" and it is a name that is given to a "perfected" breed of orcs. The most notable (and the one my force represents) are the Uruk-hai Saruman the White (also known as Saruman the Pure Awesome because he is played by Christopher Lee in the Trilogy :cool: ) created at his fortress of Isengard. His symbol is the White Hand and it is featured fairly frequently among his Uruk-hai in the form of hand prints with white paint.

Posted below are samples of the different miniatures I have painted for the Legions of the White Hand. I have still been painting a lot of basic warriors for War of the Ring. Most of those I already have pics of such as the Uruk-hai Warriors and Uruk-hai Scouts. However, some new things will be Sharku and Isengard Warg Riders. :drool:

I hope you enjoy. ;)
Attachments
DSC02116.JPG
This banner is similar to the first one I painted but there are some differences :P
DSC02115.JPG
There is something scary about a Uruk-hai Captain wielding two swords. While it has no benefit in the games, it is still a nifty conversion. I also find it interesting that the model lacks spaulders.
DSC02110.JPG
This is the old Siege Captain model that I had a pic of and I was, finally, able to get a spare Uruk-hai shield for him. It actually fits rather well on top of the metal portion of his glove and he looks great on the battlefield.
DSC02107.JPG
The Siege Captain model for the ballista is still a great mini but I will not be giving this one a shield (I have two of these models). Instead, he will spend his days as a Siege Captain or as a Captain for a crossbow unit in WotR… the latter means he will see regular use ;-)
DSC02097.JPG
A new power is rising. Its victory is at hand. Well here is a fully painted 1k WotR Isengard army with no proxies. It is still a relatively modest force in size but it does not look half bad on the battlefield. To war!
DSC02074.JPG
I like the added touch of the fur cloak and large rock with the new Uruk-hai Captain model. It makes him very easy to pick out on the battlefield.
DSC02072.JPG
Like the other Uruk-hai Shaman but with more clothes… and armor. I particularly like the way this model looks when ranked up among the Fighting Uruk-hai.
DSC02066.JPG
This is a very fancy banner; especially considering a Centurion is lugging it around, and it is certainly worthy of the title “Banner of Orthanc” (which is ten times better than the “Banner of Barad Dur”). Thus, I intend to use it only when I take the banner upgrade Fate… or include Saruman… or if I just feel like using the model.
DSC02065.JPG
The Uruk-hai Hornblower (not drummer because hornblowers are cooler) was a relatively easy conversion. The Uruk-hai Siege Engineer model had the perfect pose and it is an added plus that I do not get to use those models very often. For the record, my hornblowers were converted using new models and not ones that I had already painted.
DSC02035.JPG
We can rebuild him. We have the technology. :-P Working on the cyborg Uruk-hai er… I mean Feral Uruk-hai was a lot of fun since the models have quite a bit of little details on them. Anyway, they make good flanking warriors.
DSC02028.JPG
The Shadow Lord can now cruise around in style with his dark steed (elf chicks dig it!). I did my best to make the horse look particularly evil.
DSC02023.JPG
Here we have some creepy undead guy wearing a cloak. Well there is no doubt of the Shadow Lord’s usefulness in both LotR games which is why he is now part of my collection. I regard him as a military attaché from Sauron. The pose of this model makes me think of the Gandalf and Balrog scene though. :-/
DSC02015.JPG
There is no doubt that Isengard Orc Archers are the deadliest marksmen in the game. My opponents are always concerned when I place a few of them on the board. Yeah, I am being sarcastic. Still, there is nothing like seeing a Knight of Dol Amroth taken down by a single orc arrow.
DSC02010.JPG
Isengard Orcs with shields go together like cannons and fodder… well not quite but you get the idea. Getting the white hand to fit on their shields proved difficult at times. :-/
DSC01975.JPG
Spear wielding Orcs is what I wants so I converted the Orcs with two-handed weapons to be just that. It is an added plus that they were extremely easy conversions and required no parts outside of the Orc box. I think the end product is convincing enough.
DSC01953.JPG
I just love my birdo Orcs ^.^ I wished all my Isengard Orcs had those style of helmets on them. Anyway, these flunkies are certainly a very good addition to my force since they are cheap support troops for my Uruks.
DSC01935.JPG
I’ve finally been able to add a Uruk-hai Shaman to my Isengard army. This was a tricky model with a surprising amount of detail and he took an especially steady hand from me to complete (and yes, that is a White Hand on his face). Anyway, he is a welcomed addition and my Uruks will have no hesitation when answering the question: “Whom do you serve?”
DSC01914.JPG
What happens when you take an Olog-hai and give it lots of armor, a big sword, and a really big shield? You get an Isengard Troll! ^.^ This is a very looming centerpiece for my army (standing taller than two Uruk-hai combined!) and chances are I will be getting another one for War of the Ring ;-) Fear the power of the White Hand!
DSC01908.JPG
This is a Gandalf the Grey model I did as part of a “Speed Painting” competition at my local GW. We had thirty minutes to paint one member of the Fellowship to the best level of standard as we possibly could within that time. Much to my surprise I ended up winning the competition and received a free box of Warg Riders as a prize. Not bad for thirty minutes of painting ^_^
DSC01901.JPG
Here is an example of a pretty typical 500 point (which is like a 2K WHFB army) Isengard force that I use in casual games. This is just a small portion of all the models I have painted but I thought you might like to see some of my Uruks together as a legion ;-)
DSC01869.JPG
At last! The Uruk-hai Siege Assault Ballista! What Isengard commander would not want a giant crossbow? ^_^ This thing is surprisingly massive in its scale. It is far larger than the Dwarf or Gondor ballistas… In fact, it is larger than a good portion of the war machines in War Hammer. Other than the fact it was all metal >_< it was a fun (albeit time consuming) project.
DSC01853.JPG
The Uruk-hai Battering Ram is more of a diorama than a model and, therefore, was surprisingly time consuming to work on. Getting everything to fit together at the end was especially tricky and required pinning :-/ Regardless, I am glad I have it even though I will almost never have the chance to use it.
DSC01813.JPG
Just want to show you the back of a Uruk-hai model. This way you can clearly see the hair and red belts.
DSC01801.JPG
I am proud to present the legendary Christopher Lee as Saruman the White Hand ;-) This is certainly a must have model for any dedicated Isengard player’s collection. I attempted to follow the Trilogy’s version of Saruman but I did paint the staff’s orb red to tie him in with the rest of the army.
DSC01796.JPG
This is the tough-as-nails Uruk-hai Captain. There was a moment when I considered giving him the White Hand on his face but I decided not to since I liked the way his flesh highlights turned out.
DSC01758.JPG
Uruk-hai Siege Engineers have very fancy (ie complicated) uniforms when compared to the legionnaires, scouts, and crossbow engineers. I suppose they are the educated “elite” of Saruman’s army so they deserve some pomp. I do not particularly like their machetes but I do like their helmets.
DSC01752.JPG
The kamikaze berserker was kind of a pain to paint. For starters, I do not like the plastic mold for him. The metal berserkers are actually a lot easier to work with. Painting fire is also something I struggle with and it took me three tries to get the flaming brand to its current state. I think it turned out alright though.
DSC01748.JPG
Can you say “Saruman set up us the bomb”?
DSC01746.JPG
Why am I showing you a picture of a siege ladder? I am not so sure myself… but here it is!
DSC01719.jpg
Here we have the very talented Brad Dourif as Grima Wormtongue. I absolutely love the way this model turned out ^_^ It might very well be my favorite paint job that I have done for any of my models… ever. The pic really does not do it justice.
DSC01681.jpg
Ugluk is the Uruk-hai Scout Captain from the second film in the Trilogy. He is also a very useful character to have in the game because of his Head Taker special rule. The model itself provides a hint as to whose heads Ugluk should be taking :-P
DSC01663.jpg
I am sure everyone remembers Lurtz from the first film in the Trilogy. He is the Uruk-hai that “dealt” with Boromir ;-) It is great having him in my collection of Isengard figures and he was a very fun model to work on as well.
DSC01657.JPG
Vrasku, a special character, was a very different model to work on and pretty much everything about his armor, clothes, and weapons is unique. I did not let that get in the way of sticking to the color scheme though ;-)
DSC01653.JPG
The most basic Uruk-hai is the Scout with a sword and armor. He is clearly too cool to need much else ;-) I also really like the poses on these models.
DSC01641.JPG
My Uruk-hai Warrior armed with a Crossbow wears the "engineer" style of armor you do not see with the regular soldiers. This is most noticeable with the style of the helmet but there are other differences too (the gloves being another obvious one).
DSC01638.JPG
The Uruk-hai Warrior with a Shield is the front-line fighter of Isengard. I like to think of him as the LotR equivalent of a Space Marine ;-)
DSC01628.JPG
My very humble and underestimated Uruk-hai Scout with an Orc Bow. Despite the fact that Orc Bows are the worst in the game I usually get very lucky with them ;-P
DSC01626.JPG
Ah, the simple Uruk-hai Scout with a Shield. Yes, that is a White Hand symbol on his shield (all of my models with shields have it) but the angle of the picture makes it harder to tell.
DSC01620.JPG
My glorious banner! It took a few tries to get the White Hand on the banner to look the way it does now. It still might be a tad too high on the banner but I am not going to worry about it.
DSC01619.JPG
The standard Uruk-hai Warrior with a pike. Although you can not see it in the photo the blade of the pike is painted. Anyway, I love the style of the armor that the Trilogy created for the Fighting Uruk-hai.
DSC01613.JPG
Here is one of the notorious Uruk-hai Berserkers. These guys might be my favorite models in the army (definitely the most "buff" models). I particularly like how the White Hand turned out on the helmet. It looks good close up and gives them a death mask look from a distance. Perfect for a warrior that most opponents are scared of.
Last edited by Kolfrosta on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:38 am, edited 28 times in total.
And now... perfected. My Fighting Uruk-hai!
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: My Fighting Uruk-hai!

Postby Beithir Seun » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:40 am

Great stuff Kolfrosta! It's not often we see LotR models so this is a rare treat :D

I've got an Isenguard force of my own sitting at home but only the normal Uruk-hai are painted (along with the obligatory Saruman of course :D). Eventually I'll finish up painting the crossbows and pikemen....

What does your 500pt force consist of?
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Medals: 3
Main Admin (1) LEAF Team (1) Campaign Team (1)

Postby Kolfrosta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:02 am

Thanks Beithir :D

Saruman is among the list of special characters I have to work on as well but I think I might save him for last. ;) I really enjoy painting my Uruk-hai although they were more time consuming than I thought they would be. The local GW store manager is in disbelief that I was able to get them all painted in the time I did. Actually, I am pretty surprised I was able to get those 42 models done so quickly as well. :confused: (started on January 1st and finished on January 11th)

Oh, here is my “core” army that I will be using a lot (everything is painted of course). I have had 200 point and 375 point battles with my painted models over the past week. Just the other day I was able to use my fully painted 500 point list in a huge mega battle (2,500 points each side). Our side won and my Uruks smashed the enemy’s flank. :sexy:

Legion of the White Hand
Uruk-hai Captain – Heavy Armor – Shield
Vrasku

Uruk-hai Warrior – Shield – 9x
Uruk-hai Warrior – Pike – 10x
Uruk-hai Warrior – Crossbow – 5x
Uruk-hai Berserker – 3x
Uruk-hai Scout – Shield – 5x
Uruk-hai Scout – Orc Bow – 5x

5 Might / 39 models / 11 bows / [500] points

For those that are curious the three painted models missing from the list are the Banner, a Uruk-hai Warrior with a Shield, and a Uruk-hai Warrior with a Crossbow.
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Telcontar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Nice painting you did Kolfrosta, I still have a huge amount LOTR Models I have to paint too, maybe this could push me to do so after 2 years. :D
It was what I did before playing warhammer but warhammer totaly swallowed me. For quite a long time I'm thinking about starting again with it.

42 models done so quickly as well. :confused: (started on January 1st and finished on January 11th)

Wow... :crazy: :eek:
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. (Margaret Mead)
Telcontar
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman

Postby Kolfrosta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks! :D

I can see how different players can be swallowed by different systems. I really like the LotR system so all of my painting time has been diverted away from my Warhammer Wood Elves. However, once the rest of the models I have for my Uruks are done (which is still over 30 models :smoke:) I will switch my energies back to my Asrai. What LotR models were you collecting?

As for my speed... I am something of a mascot now for my local GW store since the vast majority of the "regulars" never paint their stuff. :smirk: I was so burned out though from the first 42 models that I did not do anything yesterday with my other models. However, I think I will start assembling the rest of the Scouts tonight. :nod:
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Telcontar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:17 pm

I collected almost anything possible, I have elves, Mordor, Goblins, Gondor, Harad,dunedain. I like the LOTR system because of the maneuverability, you're not stuck with giant units. But the fun thing with warhammer is that you can do anything without really destroying the fluff.
It's hard to say why I prefer warhammer, LOTR is my favorite book , but it's still a story and you know how it should end. Warhammer is more free and your allowed to do almost anything without the limits of a storyline.

Now I'm realy considering to start again :nod: I think I going to make a Dunedain Army... (i've been thinking about that for quite a long time).I always loved these guys and having an army of them must be awesome :D
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. (Margaret Mead)
Telcontar
Trusted Bowman

Postby Beithir Seun » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:52 pm

I think I actually prefer the LotR system to Warhammer (don't shoot me :paranoid: ). No two games of LotR are ever the same, whereas Warhammer games can become a bit predictable. I think the main thing I prefer is the individualism of LotR - every model is important, and the game is played on a more microscopic level where each model is capable of a degree of heroism :smirk:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Postby Telcontar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:18 pm

I think I actually prefer the LotR system to Warhammer (don't shoot me :paranoid: )

I didn't say I didn't like the game. If I would need to choose a gaming system I would go for LOTR I guess. What I meant was that you have more freedom in warhammer considering the background. Tolkien has written an awesome amount of stories about middle earth and I don't like to contradict with them :) I love the 'fluff' of LOTR maybe a bit too much :p

. No two games of LotR are ever the same, whereas Warhammer games can become a bit predictable. I think the main thing I prefer is the individualism of LotR - every model is important,

That's what makes LOTR such fun, I remember I even had some models who managed to escape a certain death by climbing into trees and leaping from branch to branch :cool: Can't imagine such a thing happening in warhammer.
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Telcontar
Trusted Bowman

Postby Beithir Seun » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Telcontar wrote:I didn't say I didn't like the game. If I would need to choose a gaming system I would go for LOTR I guess. What I meant was that you have more freedom in warhammer considering the background. Tolkien has written an awesome amount of stories about middle earth and I don't like to contradict with them :) I love the 'fluff' of LOTR maybe a bit too much :p

Did I say that's what you said?? I was just stating what I preferred, not making any comments about what you said :smirk:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Postby Kolfrosta » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:33 pm

@ Telcontar

That is quite a good selection of models. :nod: I see what you mean about Warhammer being more open ended in its story since the end is actually not written. Still, LotR being an established story does not bother me too much. If I find my Uruk-hai besieging Erebor then I justify it (via a “what if”) by saying Saruman destroyed Rohan and is expanding his empire. :paranoid:

The Dunedain Grey Company is a very nasty army to play against if you go the “everyone has a bow” route. Be careful though, you might not make a lot of friends or will find everyone taking the Shadow Lord against you. :confused: They have great fluff and models though.

Anyway, all of the armies can be competitive so you really can not go wrong. Just focus on the ones that have the models and theme you like the most and go from there. I strongly encourage you to get back into the game since you are missing out on some great battles. :thumbsup:

@Beithir

My thoughts are the same as yours. :D I like the LotR system more than either Warhammer or Warhammer 40k. There is a lot more individualism involved and the tactics are far subtler (but no less important).
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Telcontar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:49 pm

hmm, yes, I'm not a great fan of the 'what if' way :roll: But anyway it's still a fun game.

And at the dunedain army, I like the fluff, mostly. And it's handy to have shooting if necessary but I'm not a 'bowy' person. A fine blade, that what I need in combat :p (although I must admit their missile fire has proved usefull in the past)
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Telcontar
Trusted Bowman

Postby Telcontar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:34 pm

can the dunedain have cavalery? I though so but their are still no models for them? Am I right?
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Telcontar
Trusted Bowman

Postby Beithir Seun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Telcontar wrote:can the dunedain have cavalery? I though so but their are still no models for them? Am I right?

I think you can ally them with other armies via the Legions of Middle-Earth book, so they can have cavalry from other lists (Knights of Minas Tirith for example) but I don't think the forces of Arnor (or the Dunedáin) have cavalry in their own lists. I might be wrong on that though as I don't have the Arnor book :smirk:
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Postby Kolfrosta » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:03 am

I am pretty sure Grey Company do not have cavalry but, like Beither said, the LoME alliance system is very open.
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Telcontar » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:18 pm

the rangers themselves can take a horse 6 pts(I looked it up) But they're a bit to expensive to make a full cavalery force.
31 pts for each rider is a bit too much :cool: Should look for some kind of fluffy way to solve it. Elves might be fine, fluffwise they are better than Gondor.
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Telcontar
Trusted Bowman

Postby Kolfrosta » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:54 pm

Well a force where the cheapest model is 31pts is going to be easy to paint. ;)

Elves would be a themed way to include cavalry. Not sure if they can ally with Grey Company but it would be cool.
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Telcontar » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:56 am

I don't now it either, but if they include Gondor as an ally and no elves I thinkGW has to read LOTR again :p Dunedain wouldn't have survived if they did not gain the protection of the elves. They're descendants of Elrond's brother. :cool:

Might be expand my uruk-hai army too, I still have 7 berserkers :wasted: and loads of warriors standing on my shelve.
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Telcontar
Trusted Bowman

Postby Kolfrosta » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:28 pm

That... is a lot of Berserkers. :eek:
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Telcontar » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:15 am

uhu, I still have loads of models, I can assure you...
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Telcontar
Trusted Bowman

Postby Kolfrosta » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:05 am

Best of luck getting some of them done. LotR SBG is really a great system and the models do look very good on the battlefield. :nod:

Well I am working on the rest of my Scouts now. I also did a little bit of a touch-up on Vrasku (mostly with the white hand face paint). I hope to have a picture of the improved Vrasku and a Uruk-hai Scout with just a hand weapon uploaded within the next few days. ;)
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Farodin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:00 am

Finally someomone who paints LOTR! :D Yes, I collect them too although I almost get no time for it, blame my warhammer friend who doesn't really like LOTR anymore. I play/paint High Elves, but I'm probably going to mix them up with the great Wood Elves (I LOVE sentinels :p ).
LIke your painting style too, 'neat' and nice red details :smirk: . Hope to see more my mate!
t12161991 wrote:I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Telcontar » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:00 pm

want to see more!
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Telcontar
Trusted Bowman

Postby Beithir Seun » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Farodin wrote:Finally someomone who paints LOTR! :D Yes, I collect them too although I almost get no time for it, blame my warhammer friend who doesn't really like LOTR anymore. I play/paint High Elves, but I'm probably going to mix them up with the great Wood Elves (I LOVE sentinels :p ).

I was really looking forward to the Wood Elf models when they announced the release of the 'Fall of the Necromancer' expansion but, while the Sentinels and character models are all fantastic, the sculpts for the Wood Elf warriors were a huge disappointment. They honestly look like they've been sculpted by a 6-year old child; that's the only thing stopping me from collecting a Wood Elf army for LotR.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Postby Farodin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Well, we can always convert, can't we ;) . I've seen quiete some conversions with Warhammer Wood Elves parts :nod: , looks really cool.

Just a little note:
I'm thinking to making an armyblog myself to keep me motivated, but I don't know if it's allowed to post different armies (and gaming systems) :roll: .
t12161991 wrote:I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Kolfrosta » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:09 am

@ Farodin

I am glad that you like my painting style and it is good to hear that another player here is into LotR. :D High Elves is definitely a strong force and I have heard of players performing very well with Wood Elves. Sentinels are particularly nasty. :ninja:

You need to convince your friend to get back into the system. Some players just don’t understand the strategies and tactics that are required in the game, especially if they are used to WHFB or WH40k. Maybe the upcoming War of the Ring expansion will catch your friend's interest.

Also, I personally do not see a problem with you making a LotR army blog. ;)

@ Beithir Seun

Some of the plastic models are certainly better than others. Unfortunately the Wood Elf and Ranger plastics are notorious for their sub-standard appearance. <.< However, the Uruk-hai, Mordor Orcs, Dwarves, Warriors of Minas Tirith, Corsairs… pretty much all of the other plastics do look very good. :nod:

@ Telcontar

It is great to know that you want to see more. :D I am finishing up the final Uruk-hai Scouts tonight (which means I will have done 14 models in two days :smoke: ). I will try to have some new pics up by tomorrow evening. :thumbsup:
Kolfrosta
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Next

Return to The Meadow of Arts