Git's Gallery and Asrai army blog

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Git's Gallery and Asrai army blog

Postby Git » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm not the best painter or modeler out there, but I think it's nice to have a place to show your models without having to hijack other people's threads.

This thread is not for showing how great a painter I am, just a place to keep some pictures of my Wood Elves. If my (lack of) painting skills make any of you feel better about your own models I'm fine with that. Some of the models I'm going to present here is at a barely table top ready level. Others are better, I think. I never really like criticism but that's the only way to get better, so please comment and criticize! Compliments and flattery is also very welcome. Hopefully this thread may make me do a better effort in finishing more models faster.

A couple of characters, more recently painted.

The Old Guard repainted this year, but without very much effort.

WIP Tree Kin convertion

Size comparison
Git
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman

Re: Git's Gallery and Asrai army blog

Postby kaiser_resiak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 pm

I like your treekin conversions - especially the one on the right. I think the paint jobs on your elves would benefit from a few washes and tidying up around the edges, though (so there isn't any paint from the skin on other parts of the miniature, than where it's supposed to be). The dryad on the other hand looks quite nice.
The Vengeful Asrai - my wood elves
kaiser_resiak
Newcomer
User avatar Newcomer

Postby Git » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks! I like some of my old-dryad-to-tree-kin conversions very much as well. I have another one that is quite similar to the one on the right, but with elongated legs instead of body.
My elves are sort of WIP in these pictures, though I'm not sure if I'll bother doing more on the old archers. I haven't gotten washes to work very well on them yet, as they more or less consist of smooth surfaces. The characters are better in that aspect, and the picture of the highborn is not how it looks at the moment. I do not have newer pictures, but will try to remember to take some soon.
Git
Trusted Bowman

Postby Git » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:18 pm

This is my first try on converting a Wild Rider. It's based on an Elven Steed, and legs and head from the Glade Riders set. The torso is a WoC Marauder, the arms are parts from Dark Elves and Beastmen. The cloak is from another company. It's also my first attempt at sculpting fur, but since it's a rank-and-file model I'm not too worried about the result. Still very much a WIP though.

Git
Trusted Bowman

Postby Baardah » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Those wildriders are looking good I say. The "buff" torso suits them well. Where did you get their furcapes from?

Edit: just a reminder. Dint forget to trim the moldlines on the GR legs....
Baardah
Elder of the Council
User avatar Elder of the Council

Postby Git » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks. I have this awful tendency to overlook the largest mold lines, or if I see them I forget after two seconds.

I got the fur capes from this store (I think): http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php It's in Poland, if I'm not mistaken.
Git
Trusted Bowman

Postby Eru-Andon'Fang » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:32 pm

What Elven steed are you using? I like their pose (up on rear legs rather then just trotting/galloping).

Is that a Treeman next to the Treekin? It might be a tad big, nothing wrong with that, just sayin. I really like the Treekin conversions.
Eru-Andon'Fang
Trusted Bowman

Postby Git » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:09 am

I'm using the regular WE Glade Rider steed. I just cut away everything beneath the hooves. The one in the background of the first picture is an Empire Pistolier horse, but that one doesn't look so good.
That's a Treeman, all right. It's quite big, but including the branches on top (which I'll cover with some canopy material) it's barely taller than a Giant. For a model that's 40 % more expensive than the giant I think it's all right if it's that big (it's a walking tree!).
Git
Trusted Bowman

Postby Git » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm kind of slow in updating this thing. I haven't done much work in the last few months, though, but I am speeding up now that I play in Sentinels of Shadows: Crossing Paths (the asrai.org online campaign which every one of you should join!).

I just wanted to post an army shot of my 2k to 2500 list which still lacks a dozen dryads and a real BSB model. Most of these models are still very much WIP, but some are closer to finished.

Git
Trusted Bowman

Postby Yuri » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:43 am

Use some wash on your models; it will do the magic!
Yuri's little corner
Wood Elves in 2012: W/L/D - 5/7/3
Yuri
Bladesinger
User avatar Bladesinger

Postby Git » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:22 pm

I know. :) That's next on the list for very many of them. Almost everything is WIP yet.
Git
Trusted Bowman

Postby Git » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Things moving slowly here. When I work on my asrai it tends to be just a little here and a little there. But months ago I finished a model, except for its base, and today I finally got around to basing and taking pictures. It might not be the coolest looking, or scariest ever, but it is completely scratchbuilt.

My Treeman.

And a size comparison:
Git
Trusted Bowman

Return to The Meadow of Arts