Hi, I'm new to the forum, and new to playing. That said, I used to play LOTS of 40K through the Rogue Trader through 3rd edition days. I've always kept up painting for fun even after 40K turned into a game I don't find nearly as fun as it used to be. Fantasy still looks pretty entertaining though. For years I've always wanted to put together a Wood Elf army, and am starting to pick up some models.
Now, while the dryads are great, the treekin and treeman models are pretty terrible. If fact, I just about completely hate them. So, I've got an idea that I'm entertained by, but don't know if other players of fantasy would just be annoyed to all hell by this. I was thinking instead of using treespirits to replace the models with Traynid/genestealer models.
Now here me out on the fluff.
- Elf gets village destroyed by somebody, wanders into the forbidden wildwood.
- Find that vegetation very different, and that the powers of Athel Loren have been weaving spells to distort time and space to keep the bug infection under control.
- Hive mind grips Noble, feels religious fervor, wants to use the bugs to save Athel Loren by wiping all enemies from the world.
- Creates cult around the idea of harnessing the underworld power of the insect to kill wipre out he enemies of Athel Loren, is despised by regular elves. Kilss those that don't get his wonderful vision of the future.
- Somewhat modified genestealer models in place of dryads, raveners for treekin, mabe modified venomthrope or trygon as treeman (Not sure just how big they are comparatively) Paint them to seem like giant insects, not super bright and shiny space clowns.
- No rules modifications or anything like that.
I think the idea is pretty great, but then again, I come from a 40K background. I think I could make the army visually very interesting, and have some entertaining fluff to go with it, even maybe modifying the wording on the magic items, and picking ones that really affect psychology to fit in with the hive mind idea.
My concern though is that even if I think it looks cool, whenever I pull the army out to play it, that other players may not like the theme amd I never want to do anything to make a game less enjoyable for everyone.. I've heard some players really ahte the idea of things like that crossing games.