Tale of Ryikko *You're Just Imagining This Update...*

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Re: Tale of Ryikko *Feb 5th, no pics*

Postby Farodin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks a lot Ryikko! I had no idea that you could get such great results with just drybrushing (and washing of course). I guess I need to practice a bit more with it then.
Well it sure was interesting, I might buy a box anbd try it out :) . Can't wait to see more!

Farodin
t12161991 wrote:I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Tale of Ryikko *Feb 17th, Hounds2 Finished!*

Postby Ryikko » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:22 am

Finally I've finished these damn mutts. I'm rather unhappy with how raw the highlights are and the colour in general, but whatever, at least they add variation.

Here they are:
Unit Finished.JPG

The camera captured an entirely different colour than what they actually are...maybe I'll field the pictures in games instead of the minis...

Truecolour.JPG

Disectionpt1_ trueside.JPG

Here's him and his buddy:
Disectionpt1_1.JPG

Disectionpt1 side1.JPG

His buddy, close up:
Disectionp1_2.JPG

Disectionpt1_side2.JPG

Look! Blood brothers! *nudge nudge* :sexy: *cough*

No? :roll:
Disectionpt2.JPG

Disection pt2 _1.JPG

Disection pt2_2.JPG

<ct'd in next post>

Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.

Who clicks on these anyways?
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby Ryikko » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:26 am

<ct'd from last post>

Finally, the last hound:
Disectionpt3_1.JPG

Disectionpt3.JPG

That's it. No more Hounds. Ever.

Hallelujah! :D

I'm working on Cormund's Crackshots now. The horses in particular (my least favourite thing to paint...well, second :p ).

Wish me luck :roll:

Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby Beithir Seun » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Great stuff once again Ryikko!

Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
User avatar The Philosopher

Postby Farodin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Those are just as cool as the last ones! Can't wait till you begin with other models, I'm really curiouss :p .

-Farodin
t12161991 wrote:I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Tale of Ryikko *Term 1 Summary*

Postby Ryikko » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks to Beithir and Farodin for commenting. Nice to see someone's still watching ;)

Well, I'm going to pull another excuse like many other participants, but I won't duck out. I have two horses done on my Marauders, and some metal, but no entire units (or even close). I dropped the ball, I know, but hopefully I'll be able to rebalance the scales a bit. Even if the tale slips through the cracks, I'll push on with this project. (however slowly :p )

Term 1 Summary:
To Paint: 10
Painted: 10

Tune in next time! :D

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Re: Tale of Ryikko *Term 1 Summary*

Postby Farodin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:18 pm

*slaps Ryikko, because there are no new pics* *Ducks in the corner afraid to get hit back* Sorry, I just couldn't resist :p .

Of course were still watching, although I've seen that somehow I sometimes don't get an email when there's been made a reply, so when you don't see me for a while, you know the reason.

Too bad that there no new pics, ah well, we'll see them coming (I hope...).

-Farodin
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re:Tale of Ryikko *Holy Progress Batman? May 4 09* PICS!

Postby Ryikko » Tue May 05, 2009 4:06 am

Been a while, eh? :roll:

So here's a little something not Hound-ish (Just for you Farodin ;) ):
Marauder Horsemen:
Here's my musician, complete with unrealistic torch top: :p
Some closeups:
More:

I'm decently proud of these guys. They don't look phenomenal on their own, but they'll play a smaller role anyways, so not so much love from me. They look pretty cool with the Hounds, but i didn't photograph that. :roll:

Here come the WiPs!

My Warshrine, devout to Nurgle, naturally ;) .
Obviously a Corpse Cart in there somewhere :D
I'm thinking about painting "Non-Believers" on the balsa wood sign...what do you guys think?
As in right here...
I also added a few "extras" in the form of little daemon infestations:

Plenty more pics of Marauders in next post :smirk:
<Ct'd in next post>
Last edited by Ryikko on Tue May 05, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Re:Tale of Ryikko *Holy Progress Batman? May 4 09* PICS!

Postby Ryikko » Tue May 05, 2009 4:21 am

<Ct'd from last post>

Fancy, you're back! :D

Here's the unit of Marauders, without bases. They're done IRL, but i couldn't photograph that either. :roll:
They have a slight tilt towards a bandit theme, what, with all the destroyed cart filler and all. The next unit will be a little more devoted to the cause :) I like these guys, especially the Flagellant models. Quite a blast to convert (or arm swap, at least ;) ). Nice proportions too *cough* Militia Kit*cough* *cough*

[/blabber]

Command (and the GW weilding guy, but we don't want to tell him he's not special. He's got the mind of a child, and it would break his poor, rotten, decrepit little heart to know that he's not loved. :wink: )
No one cares about these guys:
These guys smell funny, so they're at the back:
This poor guy got jumped, got his horse killed, and then blessed by Nurgle. It's his lucky day.

Well, thank you for bearing my tasteless, childish humour to look at some rather mediocre models. You've made me a happy camper for looking.
Thanks!
'Till next update! :D

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Re: Re:Tale of Ryikko *Holy Progress Batman? May 4 09* PICS!

Postby unicorn » Tue May 05, 2009 9:50 am

There is some damn nice converting work, Ryikkko! Nice!!
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar Walking Rulebook

Re: Tale of Ryikko *Holy Progress Batman? May 4th 09* PICS!

Postby Farodin » Tue May 05, 2009 10:53 am

You must be the funny guy at home, aren't you :lol: .

Really nice work Ryikko, love the painting, love the conversions...
In one word: Great!

-Farodin
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Tale of Ryikko *Holy Progress Batman? May 4th 09* PICS!

Postby Mist Walker » Wed May 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Those are really nice, I'm going to have to make myself some marauders I think... which means a unit filler 'cause I am not going to paint all of 30 models (or 60 if I go for two, my method for painting slaaneshi skin is as lengthy as my method for painting pink :roll: )

And two months of nothing is a rather large gap... now get to work on Treachery Aforth!
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Mist Walker
Bot Killer
User avatar Bot Killer

Re: Tale of Ryikko *You're Just Imagining This Update...*

Postby Ryikko » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:24 am

Heyo!

I'm back, with progress this time, or so you assume... :P
I finished modeling the second unit of Marauders, complete with scratch-sculpted filler and all :D
They're on their way to get primed.

I won't ramble this time, so straight on to the pics! :nod:

Front:

As usual, I'll chop and mangle the unit into itty bitty bits...

Command (pure command this time ;) ):
I'll admit, I kind of stole the champion idea from this guy (silver)... :roll:

Their buddies in the first rank:

The folks behind them:
I must interject here and assure you that the chap on the farthest left in the upcoming photos will not be so....objectional when painted, I assure you.

The last few:

The back rankers (once again, stinky buggers...even for Nurglites :p ):

Tubs:

He seems to have lost his lunch...

An homage to just about every Nurglite worth his weight in pus: ;)

I went to the store today and ended up buying some Super Sculpy, mainly because I was curious as to how it worked. I've seen some truly phenomenal and astounding stuff made from it, and I always wondered why they didn't just use GS (aside from the price :p ). Well, I found out... :roll:
Super Sculpy!
I made Tubs some Nurgling buddies in about an hour and a half, within 3 trips to the oven (it's baking clay :nod: ):
Don't you just want to hug them and contract some horribly disfiguring disease? :sexy:
The pictures made the texture of the clay seem very grainy and rough, but it couldn't be any more opposite in real life. Damn camera <.<

I apologize to dial-uppers who had to wait for all those piccies to load :roll: .
Anyways, I may just get something painted of the next while, so hang tight! (but don't hold your breath, you might suffocate ;) )

Thanks for looking! :D
Ryikko

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby unicorn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:28 am

Coolness of awesome! ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
User avatar Walking Rulebook

Postby Farodin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:30 am

Really nice once more, especially that green guy, he's truly amzing :eek: .

-Farodin
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Postby Beithir Seun » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:23 am

And I thought this update would never come ;) Glad to see you're still with us (what's left of "us" anyway...) :D

And the figures look great - Tubs is fantastic :D Great work with the meatsh...I mean, Marauders as well ;)

Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
User avatar The Philosopher

Postby matthew_swifty » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm joining in :)

Great work there Ryikko!

I think you found yourself a brand new greater daemon of nurgle if you ever need one ;)

Keep up the good stuff!
Im going to read the rest of this in a salt mine, while eating salt.

Ramesesis wrote:None of that sissy picking what mini that suits my purposes for each game wankering stuff! NO!!!

I worship Jesus at the pub. Thats why i'm filled with the spirit.
matthew_swifty
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Postby liesmith » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:21 pm

Tubs and his little friends are so cute! I have some sculpey my girlfriend gave me; she used to sculpt and suggested it but I've never bothered. You say it's good stuff to work with? Would you suggest doing detail in green stuff and using it for a base, or can you use it for the entire model?
I hope the bards will praise the glory of your death in song
liesmith
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby Ryikko » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Thank you all for the comments :D

liesmith:
Sculpy, (or the super variant at least ;) ) produces great, smooth surfaces ideal for flesh or vines, etc. I wouldn't suggest, however, trying to sculpt something like bark texture into it, as it is far too soft. There are those that mix it with Sculpy Firm, or Milliput, to get a more rigid form, which seems to work...I haven't tried yet.
As for the second question, its a matter of preference, really...just be aware that the Sculpy can only be so thick when creating a base for detail, so be sure to create an armature (wire, aluminum foil, wine corks, etc) to bulk it up a bit beforehand. As I said before, you can go either way when detailing after that: Sculpy's weird to get used to, but it can produce better results than GS for less money. You just always have to be cautious and take it slow and watch out that you don't misplace a finger and smudge the detail you just sculpted (however inevitable it is :roll: ). There are things that GS is better at, though: It is quite a bit stickier, and therefore smaller details will stick better. It also holds more rigid details, but not sharper edges, if that makes any sense :D

...Err, that was a bit long, sorry. :p Does that help?

I'll see what I can do about getting to painting in the near future...

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby Mist Walker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:52 am

So much effort for such a cheap unit (it's awesome btw)-you getting onto knights and warriors any time soon (and by time I mean your idea of time so in a few months)
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Mist Walker
Bot Killer
User avatar Bot Killer

Postby Telcontar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:51 am

wow, Ryikko, long time since I've last seen your work but the new models are stunning. Especially the big green thing:p(is it a greater daemon?)
Gurth an Glamhoth!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. (Margaret Mead)
Telcontar
Trusted Bowman
User avatar Trusted Bowman

Postby Ryikko » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 pm

Thank you for the comments Misty and Telcontar :D y'all make me feel warm and fuzzy inside
....or maybe that's just the maggots... :p

Telcontar:
Tubs is really just a filler. He was originally created because I was too lazy to put together six more models for the unit. Of course, as it happens it would've been far quicker for me to build the models than sculpt him after all :roll:
...I only realised this as I completed him :o (He's also on the wrong size base to be a GD ;) )

Misty:
I'm planning on it, but i want to get some painting out of the way first...like that'll happen ;)
The main reason I'm not working on them is because I really have no clue what models to use. I'm torn between the usual Chaos Warriors and converting a box of Empire State Troops.
I'll reason each:
I'll admit, I was, and still am a fanboy of the Warrior plastics. They are just that cool. Plain and simple. Of course, that's what they are too: plain and simple. Single-pose brutes with stunty little arms :p . The only reason I'm holding back from them is that they are completely static and have little variation between them. Converting them all would be a major time sink, and wouldn't much improve the look of the unit substantially.
Converting the State Troops would allow an almost unlimited amount of converting and freedom of inspiration...and trust me, I plan on converting these a lot. :smirk: Of course, the only problem with that they represent an absurd statline for such a spindly little human model, so they could be misinterpreted as a different unit entirely...but that's not always a bad thing :sexy: (and who plays with WYSIWYG anyways? :p )

Anyone want to throw in any other suggestions for Chaos Warriors or Knights while I'm still deciding? :nod:

Thanks for looking :D

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby liesmith » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Plastic Greatswords for Warriors? At least they'll have a modicum of armor.... :confused:

Perhaps excessive conversion on Greatswords (in the manner of Tubs) could make them seem a bit sturdier and more resilient to damage.
liesmith
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby Ryikko » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Problem is that I'm not going to pay $60 for the Greatswords. If need be, I can make armour from plasticard :D

I need to be cheap, I'm a student after all :p

Ryikko
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby liesmith » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:34 pm

Just pillage the local GW! You're building a Chaos army, after all :roll:

In that case...plasticard, ho! Consider it a challenge to your formidable modeling capabilities.
liesmith
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Meadow of Arts